1 cup - Besan or Rice flour
3 cups - Curd
5 nos - Garlic flakes
1 tsp - Cumin seeds
5 nos - Red chillies
A pinch - Asafoetida
1/2 tsp - Coriander powder
1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp - Red chilly powder
Salt to taste
1/2 cup - Oil or Ghee
3 cups - Water
Chopped spinach or fenugreek leaves
Cooking Instructions :
- Mix the besan or rice flour with ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and half tsp of salt. Make a thick paste of it with the help of water added gradually and folding it with a spatula
- Mix paste with curd and water. Churn them properly.
- Heat oil in a pan add garlic and saute till light brown, add red chillies and hing (Asafoetida).
- Pour the curd mix in the pan and add a bit of turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chillies powder and salt to it.
- Start cooking till the gravy becomes thick and the smell of raw besan is gone. Cook for another ten to fifteen minutes. (Preparing it with rice flour requires few more minutes of cooking)
- Garnish with spinach, Jholi is ready and serve it with steamed rice.